Monday, November 30, 2009

Christmas time!

With the holidays right around the corner I sat myself down and I said "Self, it's coming up on Christmas and the other winter holidays. When are you going to get serious with the movie reviews?" I answered as well with right now. So I bring treats. Tasty sweet possibly chocolaty treats...for your eyes...and mind I assume.
I would like to share as a holiday classic, one of my favorite Christmas films, The Muppets'Christmas Carol. Starring Michael Caine as Ebenezer Scrooge, this film was released in the year 1992. Now this is a classic to me because honestly it was one of the only child-oriented Christmas films my family owned. All the others were for teenagers and adults like Christmas Vacation and Christmas Story. All great films but not always suitable for children. I'm not old enough to have been around for the Muppet television show so my knowledge of them is actually quite slim. I know that they are (mostly) all based on animals of some sort. But anyway back to the film.
This film is just as the title would suggest. It is the classic 1843 story by Charles Dickens but told by Muppets. In fact, Gonzo (The Great Gonzo) acts as narrator Charles Dickens. He gives an introduction to the film and introduces himself as Charles Dickens which makes his sidekick character Rizzo the Rat question the authenticity of the story. This is a running gag throughout the film that actually works quite well. It makes me laugh every time. The decision to use Gonzo and Rizzo to narrate the film was done to incorporate the prose of the original Charles Dickens novel. In fact, I see this as a very close interpretation of the novel, with some liberties taken.
The character of Jacob Marley is now two characters Jacob and Robert Marley (subtle), and growing up before I had read the book I thought that there really were two Marley brothers and the name Robert Marley was just a strange coincidence to the late reggae singer. This is the most notable difference truly. Of course there are musical numbers but what would a Muppet movie be without at least one song. It would lose some of the magic and lightheartedness without the songs though so I will defend them. Not only do I enjoy them but I sing along proudly when I watch this film.
This isn't a film that has to be watched during the holidays. I've watched it many a time when I'm just sitting alone at home. It's a good film to sit and relax to because if you're in a bad mood it will lift your spirits and if you're in a good mood it will make you even happier.
I feel that the casting was spot on. I have read on the IMDB page for this film that it was and still is one of his favorite roles and I can see why. He seems to have fun with the character of Scrooge. He is so well rendered of a character that it's near scary when he is mean Scrooge. Other actors considered for the role included David Hemmings and George Carlin. George Carlin. The man who did the seven words you can never say on television. In a children's movie. This would, I feel, have made many parents upset at the release. I don't actually know if there was a theatrical release because when I was growing up my family just had it. It was always there. In the red vhs cast that always looked so new and shiny.
Michael Caine wears a scowl very well. But as in the song Scrooge sung by the muppets they say "he goes to extremes to convince us he's bad...look close and there must be a sweet man inside...NAH". They foreshadow effectively and at the same time give a commentary on how the people feel about him being such a "humbug".
Now I know I may catch a lot of crap for saying it but I don't care for The Nightmare Before Christmas. It never struck me as anything magical or even in a way good. I just felt that it was Tim Burton being Tim Burton. Now this film is something truly special. It lifts spirits and it's Muppets. What could be better? The interaction between the human actors and the Muppets is nearly flawless. One flawed instance is when there is a closeup of Scrooge and he's picking up Tiny Tim. It's easy to see that he's trying to avoid the operator's hand and is being very careful not to damage the Muppet. This the biggest part that takes away from the magic.
This film used to scare me as a child and I'd need to turn it off when the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come first appears. The music at this point turns dark and ominous and indeed so is the Ghost. Tall and clothed in ratty black robes obscuring his or her face. The long fingers of Death it almost seems. He does not speak a single word. He does not react when Ebenezer asks if the visions shown to him are certain or can be changed. This adds a sort of suspense and indeed it becomes devilishly scary. This is quite a contrast to the Ghost of Christmas Past who is warm and inviting. His phrase "come in and know me better man" is still often used by my family when we greet people at the door. This character is dressed in warm colors of reds and golds with garland adorning his head. He emits a glow that slowly fades until he eventually dies. It is a sad occasion but he is reborn every year and he doesn't seem to be saddened by it.
All in all I find this to be a warm and cherished childhood film that can be enjoyed by anyone. Brian Henson could truly direct for the effect he wanted his film to achieve and achieve it he did. I'd suggest this for anyone as a stocking stuffer or even as just a movie to have on in the background at your holiday celebrations. While taking liberties from the original novel it does stay true to it. The characters are deep and well rounded, the plot-line is great and attention grabbing, and the music is possibly the best part. So please, take it from me. Check this movie out and you won't be disappointed at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment